Students can now use NET score to get entry into PhD program

National Eligibility Test

New Delhi: In a move aimed at streamlining the process of PhD admissions and aligning with the National Education Policy, the University Grants Commission (UGC) has introduced a significant change for the academic session 2024-25. Now, students can utilize their National Eligibility Test (NET) scores to apply for PhD programs.

This decision, made during the UGC’s 578th meeting on March 13, comes following recommendations from an expert committee tasked with reviewing UGC NET exam provisions. Previously, the NET exam was primarily utilized for determining eligibility for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and assistant professor appointments. However, with this new change, it will also serve as a gateway for PhD admissions, simplifying the process for students.



The UGC NET exam, conducted biannually by the National Testing Agency in June and December, will soon release notifications for the June 2024 session on

Effective from June 2024, UGC NET qualified candidates will be categorized into three groups for PhD admissions:

Those eligible for PhD admission with JRF and assistant professor appointment,
Those eligible for PhD admission without JRF but for assistant professor appointment, and
Those solely eligible for PhD program admission.

For candidates falling into categories 2 and 3, their UGC NET scores will account for 70% of their merit, with the remaining 30% being derived from interviews. This combined merit evaluation approach will apply to both categories, ensuring fairness and transparency in the admission process. Additionally, NET scores will remain valid for one year, providing flexibility for candidates planning their academic pursuits.


Related posts