Gaza: In a significant turn in the prolonged Gaza conflict, Hamas has announced its willingness to release all Israeli hostages in exchange for a full Israeli military withdrawal and the release of Palestinian prisoners. The announcement, made by senior Hamas official Khalil al-Hayya during a televised address on Thursday, is being seen as a potential breakthrough in the ongoing 18-month war that has ravaged Gaza.
Hamas Proposes Comprehensive Agreement
Al-Hayya stated that Hamas is open to a comprehensive agreement that includes the release of all Israeli hostages, the return of Palestinian prisoners held in Israel, a complete end to hostilities, and the start of Gaza’s reconstruction. However, he made it clear that Hamas would not accept Israel’s demand for the group to disarm.
Rejecting Israel’s recent proposal for a 45-day temporary ceasefire—which includes a disarmament clause—al-Hayya said, “We will not agree to any partial agreement. A permanent ceasefire, complete Israeli military withdrawal, and guarantees for reconstruction must form the basis of any deal.”
A senior Palestinian official echoed the sentiment, accusing Israel of only seeking the release of hostages without a real commitment to ending the conflict.
“Netanyahu Using Truce for Political Gains”: Hamas
In a strongly worded statement, Hamas accused Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of exploiting ceasefire talks for political benefit. Al-Hayya told Reuters, “Netanyahu and his government use partial agreements to push a genocidal policy of starvation and warfare, even if it means sacrificing their own hostages. We refuse to be a part of such a strategy.”
This hardline stance could derail ongoing mediation efforts by Egypt, which hosted talks in Cairo earlier this week that ended without resolution. Hamas reiterated that the remaining 59 Israeli hostages will only be released if Israel agrees to a complete cessation of the war.
Israel Intensifies Attacks
Meanwhile, Israeli forces have stepped up their military offensive in Gaza. According to Gaza’s Health Ministry, at least 32 Palestinians, including women and children, were killed in airstrikes on Thursday. Six people reportedly died in an attack on a UN-run school in Jabalia, which Israel claims housed a Hamas command center.

Hamas reported losing contact with the fighters holding Israeli-American soldier Aiden Alexander, stating that the site where he was kept had been bombed. In a video message to hostage families, Hamas warned that continued Israeli air raids could put their loved ones’ lives at risk.
A Conflict Rooted in 2023
The war began on October 7, 2023, when Hamas launched a surprise assault on southern Israel, killing 1,200 people and taking 251 hostages, according to Israeli authorities. In retaliation, Israel launched a large-scale military campaign in Gaza. The Hamas-controlled health ministry claims over 51,000 Palestinians have been killed so far. Hamas currently holds 59 hostages, with only 24 believed to be alive.
Public Pressure in Israel Mounts
Within Israel, public pressure is mounting on the Netanyahu government to prioritize the safe return of hostages. Hundreds of former Mossad and air force personnel have urged a shift in focus from military operations to hostage negotiations. Mass protests have erupted in Tel Aviv, with citizens demanding a deal.
“Normalizing the situation of hostages in Gaza is unacceptable—it’s heartbreaking,” said protester Yona Schnitzer.
As both sides dig in, and civilian suffering mounts, the path to peace remains uncertain. However, Hamas’ conditional offer has opened a possible diplomatic window—one that the international community may seek to widen in the days ahead.

